PDC line Pharma
Spin-off of French Blood Bank (EFS, Etablissement Français du Sang)
SAS founded in April 2014 in Grenoble, France
SA founded in June 2016 in Liège (Belgium)
The company has raised nearly €32 M (19,5 M€ in equity and 12 M€ of non-dilutive money).
In march 2019, PDC*line Pharma granted exclusive license in South Korea and exclusive option in other Asian countriesto LG Chem Life Sciences Company, for the development and commercialization of PDC*lungcancer vaccine for lung cancer. The total deal value is 108M€ (123M$) plus significant tieredroyalties on net sales in Asia.
In December 2019, PDC*line Pharma raises €20M in Series B financing round. Five new investors joined the round of financing: Korean Investment Partners, the leading multi-billion dollar South-Korean fund, two further South-Korean funds, Shinhan-Cognitive Start-up Fund and UTC 2019 BIOVENTUREFUND, as well as two Belgian funds, SRIW (The Regional Investment Company of Wallonia) and Sambrinvest (the investment fund of Charleroi).
PDC*line Pharma won numerous awards, including the first prize of the French start-up competition “Tremplin Entreprises” in the biotech category in 2015, and the first prize of the MATWIN oncology projects competition in the start-up category awarded by international leaders from the pharmaceutical industry and academic research.
Eric Halioua (MS, MBA), President & Chief Executive Officer
Laurent Levy (MS, MBA), Cofounder & Chief Operating Officer
Joel Plumas (PhD), Cofounder & Chief Scientific Officer
Claude Dedry (Pharm. D), Vice-President Pharmaceutical Operations & Quality
Channa Debruyne (MD), Medical Director
PDC*line is the only cell line of Dendritic Cells for therapeutic use. It is exposed in vitro to tumor antigens, irradiated and can be stored frozen for year. After thawing, it is injected to activate in vivo a potent cytotoxic anti-tumor CD8+ T-cell response. The product is classified as an ATMP (Advanced-Therapy Medicinal Product) by the EMA (European Medicines Agency).
It currently comes in the form of 3 candidates:
- PDC*mel: our first candidate for melanoma completed a first-in-human phase Ib trial in 2017, demonstrating the safety of the product, the absence of allogeneic rejection and its biological activity.
- PDC*lung: our leading candidate for non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) targets widely expressed shared antigens (including cancer/testis antigens). A phase Ib/II trial evaluating its safety and biological activity, with and without anti-PD1, is currently being initiated.
- PDC*neo: is currently being developed at the preclinical stage.
PDC*line Pharma 's Intellectual Property rests on three pillars:
- Proprietary PDC*line: PDC*line is unique and is the only cell line of human DCs for therapeutic use. A Master Cell Bank manufactured under GMP procedures has been fully characterized and validated in terms of biological safety.
- Two granted international patents families (co-invented by Joel PLUMAS, licensed from EFS) protecting PDC*line generation (WO 2004/061089) and the therapeutic use of any Plasmacytoid DC lines (WO 2009/138489). One patent filed in 2018 protecting genetic optimizations of PDC*line.
- Strong expertise and a large set of data accumulated over more than 15 years in the fields of preclinical data, manufacturing process, Quality Control and immuno-monitoring in vitro assays.
Achievements over the last 18 months
- 2018: filing of a new patent covering genetic optimizations of PDC*line.
- January 2019: GMP accreditation by the Belgian Federal Agency for Medicines and Health Products (FAMHP) for its Quality Control & Release Activities for PDC*lung.
- June 2019: authorization to launch an open-label, dose-escalation, phase I/II trial with the cancer vaccine candidate (PDC*lung01) in non-small cell lung cancer in Belgium and France (with and without anti PD-1).
- August 2019: arrival of a new Medical Director (Dr Channa Debruyne) that have led clinical team for GSK vaccine MAGE-A3 Cancer Immunotherapeutic registration trials in lung and melanoma indications.
- December 2019: closing of a 22M€ B-Round of financing led by the multi-billion Asian VC KIP (Korea Investment Partners).