“PDC*line, our proprietary allogeneic cell line of Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells solves the industrial limitations faced by immunotherapies based on dendritic cells currently on the market or in clinical development. Additionally PDC*line is much more potent than conventional dendritic cells to expand anti-tumor CD8+ T cells in vitro.” – Joel Plumas, PhD (Co-Founder & CSO)
PDC*vac, a new class of antigen – specific active immunotherapies
PDC*vac is a breakthrough antigen – specific active immunotherapy based on PDC*line, a proprietary allogenic cell line of Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells (human origin) loaded with target tumor antigens. It is the only immunotherapy based on a cell line of Dendritic Cells (DC) and the only one based on DCs of Plasmacytoid type.
PDC*line displays very strong antigen presenting cell abilities allowing the priming of antitumor naïve CD8+ cells in vitro and in vivo (humanized mouse model). PDC*line is much more potent than conventional DC to expand fully functional antitumor CD8+ T-cells from tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (Aspord et al, 2010; 2012). Original features of PDC*line (expression of key costimulatory molecules in absence of PD-L1 expression…) explain its superiority over conventional DC.
PDC*line is fully qualified and available at clinical grade. It very easy to expand on synthetic medium in bioreactors. It can be loaded with synthetic peptides derived from a combination of tumor antigens relevant for a targeted cancer type. The off-the-shelf product (ATMP classification) can be stored frozen for years. Once injected to patients, it induces a potent and targeted cytotoxic T cell response against the tumor cells.
PDC*vac technology benefits from a robust proof of concept ex vivo (blood samples from cord blood, heathy donors, melanoma and lung cancer patients) and in vivo (humanized mouse models, including an aggressive grafted model of melanoma). A first-in-human phase 1 trial in melanoma has also shown positive results.
Because of its unique features, PDC*vac is expected to be highly scalable, potent and versatile.
Scalable & convenient
PDC*vac is an off-the-shelf highly qualified and standardized product, which has a much lower production cost and is more convenient to produce, control, develop and commercialize than conventional autologous DC-based immunotherapies. A standardized product can be used to treat all HLA-A2+ patients with the same cancer type.
Potent & effective
The potency of PDC*vac and its expected superior efficacy are due to 2 essential features:
- PDC*line: Ex vivo studies have shown (Aspord, PlosOne 2010) that PDC*line much more potently induced specific cytotoxic T cell expansion than conventional DCs (20 times more potent than autologous DCs, and 200 times more potent than allogeneic DCs, that may be affected by disease and previous treatments).
- Multi-specific active immunotherapy: PDC*vac is an active immunotherapy targeting several well-expressed tumour antigens which improve tumour targeting, thus limiting the risk of tumour escape.
Versatile & applicable to any cancers
PDC*vac is easy and rapid to develop a new candidate for any type of cancer. To change the target tumour, all that is required is to adapt the tumour peptides loaded.
IP protection at PDC*line Pharma relies on 3 pillars (licensed from EFS):
- A proprietary cell line (PDC*line), including clinical-grade cell banks,
- 2 patents, with very good geographical coverage, protecting PDC*line (WO 2004/061089) and the use of PDC cell lines in active immunotherapy (WO 2009/138489),
- R&D data and manufacturing know-how developed since 1999.
- Aspord C, Leccia MT, Salameire D, Laurin D, Chaperot L, Charles J, Plumas J. HLA-A(*)0201(+) plasmacytoid dendritic cells provide a cell-based immunotherapy for melanoma patients. J Invest Dermatol. 2012 Oct;132(10):2395-406.
- Aspord C, Charles J, Leccia MT, Laurin D, Richard MJ, Chaperot L, Plumas J. A novel cancer vaccine strategy based on HLA-A*0201 matched allogeneic plasmacytoid dendritic cells. PLoS One. 2010 May 4;5(5):e10458.